During the 1970’s the U.S. Army held an intense competition to select a replacement for the Bell UH-1 Iroquois. Three Boeing Vertol prototypes were among the contenders - introducing 73-21657, a YUH-61.
Read more about it on our blog Boeing Vertol YUH-61: From Prototype to Legend.
73-21657 was built for Boeing Vertol's entry into the Utility Tactical Transport Aircraft System (UTTAS) competition. Its design featured a four-bladed, hingeless rotor system made from composite materials, which reduced weight and maintenance, and enhanced its performance and agility.
Although the YUH-61 ultimately lost to the Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk, the legacy of the YUH-61 set new standards and expectations for military helicopter design, influencing the evolution of rotorcraft for decades to come. In 2022, MotoArt found this long lost prototype and created PlaneTags from the damaged boom, preserving the cockpit as a whole.
Don’t miss this limited edition whirlybird - get your Boeing Vertol YUH-61 PlaneTags now
- Manufacturer: BOEING
- Serial #: 73-21657
- Crew: 2 PILOTS
- Rotor diameter: 49 FT 0 IN w/4 BLADES
- Length: 60 FT 8.5 IN
- Height: 15 FT 6 IN
- Combat Range: 320 MI
- Cruise Speed: 156 KTS
- Ceiling: 14,000 FT
- Empty weight: 9,750 LB
- Max Takeoff: 17,700 LB
- Engine: 2x GENERAL ELECTRIC T700-GE-700C TURBOSHAFT
Perfect Aviation Gift
- Authentic - made from actual retired aircraft fuselage, not merely stamped metal.
- Unique - each PlaneTag bears the color, thickness, and wear and tear from the portion of the fuselage from which it was cut and it is therefore rare to create two identical PlaneTags.
- Collectible - each one is numbered in a limited edition and comes attached to a display card.
- Versatile - comes with a durable metal ring, strong enough to attach to luggage or keys or display.
*Important Notice – Please Read Carefully
PlaneTags are made from actual retired aircraft fuselage, not merely stamped metal. Because PlaneTags are made from real fuselage, each PlaneTag bears the color, thickness, and wear and tear from the portion of the fuselage from which it was cut and it is therefore rare to create two identical PlaneTags. These variations and imperfections are not product flaws. They are part of the beauty of PlaneTags. As a result, you will not have an option to select the color of your PlaneTag. The images on this website are provided for reference only and should not be used as the sole basis for choosing a particular PlaneTag.