Aero Spacelines Super Guppy Turbine F-BTGV
The Super Guppy Turbine and its predecessors, the Pregnant Guppy/Super Guppy, were large, wide-bodied aircraft, designed specifically to transport outsize cargo for NASA’s Apollo and Gemini missions. Its unique size, shape and hinged opening allowed it to transport machinery that no other aircraft could carry - making it possible for the United States to pull ahead in the Space Race.
Designed by Aero Spacelines, the Guppies did what no other aircraft could do - transport NASA’s Saturn rockets from other parts of the country to Cape Canaveral, Florida. Before their introduction, rockets and outsized cargo were transported by sea through the Panama Canal, taking nearly three weeks and often resulting in damaged components. The Guppies could carry these supersized loads in a matter of hours.
Our plane (serial number 0001) was the first of only four Super Guppy Turbines built and originally held the registration N211AS. In 1971, after being sold to Airbus Industrie, she was registered as F-BTGV. Airbus then used her to transport aircraft parts from different parts of Europe to the Airbus assembly plant in Toulouse, France. F-BTGV was retired in June 1996 after being replaced by the Airbus Beluga and stored at Bruntingthorpe Airfield & Proving Ground in the UK. MotoArt was able to preserve the colorful skin of this historic aircraft, with the assistance of South Wales Aviation Museum, who will be restoring and displaying the cockpit.
Our Super Guppy PlaneTags are available now and ready to ship today. Add one to your collection!
SUPER GUPPY TURBINE
- Manufacturer: Aero Spacelines
- Tail #: F-BTGV
- Crew: 4
- Cargo Bay Dimensions: 111 FT × 25 FT × 25 FT
- Wing Span: 156 FT 3 IN
- Empty weight: 101,500 LB
- Height: 48 FT 6 IN
- Max Takeoff: 170,000 LB
- Range: 1,734 MILES
- Cruise Performance: 294 KTS at 20K
- Ceiling: 25,000 FT
- Max Speed: 250 KN (290 mph, 460 km/h)
- Engine: 4 × Allison 501-D22C turboprops
Handcrafted Aviation Collectibles
- Authentic - made from actual retired aircraft fuselage, not merely stamped metal.
- Unique - each PlaneTag bears the color, thickness, and wear and tear from the portion of the fuselage from which it was cut and it is therefore rare to create two identical PlaneTags.
- Collectible - each one is numbered in a limited edition and comes attached to a display card.
- Versatile - comes with a durable metal ring, strong enough to attach to luggage or keys or display.
- Please Note: Due to limited quantities, combination colors you may receive will vary.
*Important Notice – Please Read Carefully
PlaneTags are made from actual retired aircraft fuselage, not merely stamped metal. Because PlaneTags are made from real fuselage, each PlaneTag bears the color, thickness, and wear and tear from the portion of the fuselage from which it was cut and it is therefore rare to create two identical PlaneTags. These variations and imperfections are not product flaws. They are part of the beauty of PlaneTags. As a result, you will not have an option to select the color of your PlaneTag. The images on this website are provided for reference only and should not be used as the sole basis for choosing a particular PlaneTag.