WWII aircraft are the favorites of so many PlaneTags collectors and it's no wonder why. The will, ingenuity and resources were at an all time high when these birds were produced. The SB2C-5 Helldiver shares this moment in history and MotoArt is thrilled to have BuNo 83393 as part of our collection. Introducing Curtiss SB2C-5 PlaneTags!
Learn all about the Helldiver on our blog SB2C Helldiver: The Navy's Last Dive Bomber
The Curtiss SB2C Helldiver was a two seater, single engine, carrier-based dive bomber and scout plane, produced between 1943 and 1945, and utilized by the U.S. Navy in the Pacific theater. It was Nicknamed The Beast, The Big-Tailed Beast and Two Cee, the Helldiver was also called S.O.B. 2nd Class - a play on the initials SB2C and referring to the Helldiver’s challenging handling characteristics. The SB2C was the last of Navy’s dive bombers, due to the changing nature of modern warfare and the expanding aviation technology.
Our plane, BuNo 83393, was built as an SB2C-5 and delivered to the U.S. Navy in May 1945. It was used as a torpedo test aircraft in Newport, RI and as a test aircraft at NAS Dahlgren, VA. On July 24, 1945, it was lost in a takeoff from USPNG Dahlgren, VA when it stalled during a forced landing. The wreck of 83393 was recovered by the National Air and Space Museum (NASM) in 1993 and was used for spare parts to restore NASM’s Helldiver (BuNo 83479). Ron J. Fagen, founder of Fagen Fighters WWII Museum in Granite Falls, MN, acquired the wreck of 83393 in 2006 and has been restoring it ever since. Once completely restored, it will be the second Helldiver in flying condition. MotoArt acquired the original skin of 83393 from Fagen Fighters in 2022 and created PlaneTags.
Expand your World War II or Military PlaneTags collection today. Add a Helldiver PlaneTag to your personal fleet. Share a piece of history with someone you love - give the gift of aviation with PlaneTags in their stockings. Get your Curtiss SB2C-5 Helldiver PlaneTags today.
Curtiss SB2C-5 HELLDIVER-# 83393
- Manufacturer: CURTISS-WRIGHT
- BuNo: 83393
- Crew: 2 (1 PILOT, 1 RADIO OPERATOR/REAR GUNNER)
- Wing Span: 49 ft 9 in
- Length: 36 ft 8 in
- Height: 13 ft 2 in
- Armament: 2x 20MM MK.2 Machine Guns, 2x .30 CAL M1919 Browning Machine Guns in the Rear Cockpit, and 3,000 lbs of Payload
- Range: 1,568 Nm (Combat Range)
- Cruise Speed: 137 kts
- Ceiling: 29,100 ft
- Empty weight: 10,547 lb
- Max Takeoff: 16,616 lb
- Rate of Climb: 1,800 ft / min
- Engine: 1x Wright R-2600-20 Double Cyclone
Perfect Aviation Gift
- Authentic - made from actual retired aircraft fuselage, not merely stamped metal.
- Unique - each PlaneTag bears the color, thickness, and wear and tear from the portion of the fuselage from which it was cut and it is therefore rare to create two identical PlaneTags.
- Collectible - each one is numbered in a limited edition and comes attached to a display card.
- Versatile - comes with a durable metal ring, strong enough to attach to luggage or keys or display.
*Important Notice – Please Read Carefully
PlaneTags are made from actual retired aircraft fuselage, not merely stamped metal. Because PlaneTags are made from real fuselage, each PlaneTag bears the color, thickness, and wear and tear from the portion of the fuselage from which it was cut and it is therefore rare to create two identical PlaneTags. These variations and imperfections are not product flaws. They are part of the beauty of PlaneTags. As a result, you will not have an option to select the color of your PlaneTag. The images on this website are provided for reference only and should not be used as the sole basis for choosing a particular PlaneTag.