New for your PlaneTags collection - a Convair CV-580 that first flew in 1956 and spent the majority of its career with the national airline of Belgium, SABENA, for 11 years, then with Frontier Airlines for another 18 before flying for smaller commuter airlines. N73163 was retired and stored from 1995 until MotoArt had the opportunity to preserve it this year.
N73163 was built as a CV-440 in 1956 and delivered to SABENA in October 1956. SABENA’S fleet of Convair 440s were used for routes between European regional destinations until the late 60s. N73163 was delivered to Frontier Airlines in 1967 and converted to a 580. Frontier Airlines was the first to fly the CV-580, beginning in 1964. The 580 was the backbone of their short haul routes until the 1970s.
OUR PLANE'S STORY
Convair 580s were converted CV-340 or CV-440 aircraft, which were modified in a collaboration between Convair and Pacific Airmotive. The piston engines were replaced by Allison 501-D13 turboprop engines to give the aircraft better performance, speed, and increased range. In addition, the horizontal stabilizers were modified and the vertical fin was enlarged. Only 170 were converted.
Adding this Convair CV-580 to the PlaneTags fleet is an honor! With only a limited number made and an even smaller number still flying, MotoArt is excited to be able to preserve this aircraft. Get one for your own collection today.
CONVAIR CV-580 # N73163
- Manufacturer: CONVAIR
- Tail #: N73163
- Crew: 2 Pilots, 2 Flight Attendants
- Empty weight: 32,500 lbs
- Wing Span: 105 ft 4 in
- Length: 81 ft 6 in
- Height: 29 ft 2 in
- Max Takeoff: 58,156 lbs
- Range: 2,577 NM
- Max Cruise Speed: 297 kts
- Ceiling: 25,000 ft
- Rate of Climb: 1,520 ft/min
- Engine: 2 x Allison 501-D13D rated @ 3800 eshp
Handcrafted Aviation Collectibles
- Authentic - made from actual retired aircraft fuselage, not merely stamped metal.
- Unique - each PlaneTag bears the color, thickness, and wear and tear from the portion of the fuselage from which it was cut and it is therefore rare to create two identical PlaneTags.
- Collectible - each one is numbered in a limited edition and comes attached to a display card.
- Versatile - comes with a durable metal ring, strong enough to attach to luggage or keys or display.
- Please Note: Due to limited quantities, combination colors you may receive will vary.
*Important Notice – Please Read Carefully
PlaneTags are made from actual retired aircraft fuselage, not merely stamped metal. Because PlaneTags are made from real fuselage, each PlaneTag bears the color, thickness, and wear and tear from the portion of the fuselage from which it was cut and it is therefore rare to create two identical PlaneTags. These variations and imperfections are not product flaws. They are part of the beauty of PlaneTags. As a result, you will not have an option to select the color of your PlaneTag. The images on this website are provided for reference only and should not be used as the sole basis for choosing a particular PlaneTag.