The Colors of Sunny Baja California
The newest PlaneTags are here - a McDonnell Douglas DC-9-32, resplendent in the vintage Aero California livery. The rich yellow, orange, red, and wine colors were intended to evoke images of sunny Baja California Sur, the home of the airlines' headquarters in La Paz, Mexico from 1960 - 2008.
The DC-9 came off the Douglas Aircraft production line in Long Beach, California in 1965 - just one more amazing design from the unrivaled Douglas aircraft lineage. Douglas Aircraft designed and produced dozens of incredible wartime aircraft, as well as a succession of popular passenger jets including their workhorse, the DC-9.
Designed mainly for short to medium routes and servicing smaller airfields, the DC-9 was not dependent on ground services that these airports lacked; it featured its own auxiliary power and built-in airstairs. The DC-9-30 variant sported a longer fuselage, extended wing tips, and was built to compete with the Boeing 737. A total of 662 DC 9-30s were assembled.
OUR PLANE'S STORY
MotoArt is thrilled to have preserved XA-SWH, the 450th DC-9-30 built, which first took off into clear wintery skies in January 1969. After spending her first 25 years flying for Alitalia as “Isola di Pianosa,” XA-SWH spent her final 12 years with the Aero California fleet.
Our DC-9 transported passengers between major destinations in Mexico, California, and Arizona before finally being withdrawn from service in 2006. MotoArt acquired the airframe in 2020, rescuing it right before being scrapped and lost forever. XA-SWH and its beautiful livery will be preserved as PlaneTags - ready to soar through sunny skies again.
McDonnell Douglas®️ DC-9-30
- Manufacturer: McDonnell Douglas
- Serial #: XA-SWH
- Seating: 115 Seats
- Wing Span: 93.4 FT
- Length: 119.3 FT
- Height: 27.5 FT
- Max Takeoff: 108,000 LB
- Range: 1,740 MILES
- Altitude Capability: 42,980 FT
- Ceiling: 35,000 FT
- Max Speed: Mach 0.84
- Engine (2×): Pratt & Whitney JT8D
PlaneTags are Handmade Aviation Tags
- Authentic - made from actual retired aircraft fuselage, not merely stamped metal.
- Unique - each PlaneTag bears the color, thickness, and wear and tear from the portion of the fuselage from which it was cut and it is therefore rare to create two identical PlaneTags.
- Collectible - each one is numbered in a limited edition and comes attached to a display card.
- Versatile - comes with a durable metal ring, strong enough to attach to luggage or keys or display.
- Please Note: Due to limited quantities, combination colors you may receive will vary.
*Important Notice – Please Read Carefully
PlaneTags are made from actual retired aircraft fuselage, not merely stamped metal. Because PlaneTags are made from real fuselage, each PlaneTag bears the color, thickness, and wear and tear from the portion of the fuselage from which it was cut and it is therefore rare to create two identical PlaneTags. These variations and imperfections are not product flaws. They are part of the beauty of PlaneTags. As a result, you will not have an option to select the color of your PlaneTag. The images on this website are provided for reference only and should not be used as the sole basis for choosing a particular PlaneTag.